I received a lot of feedback to my blog post about the book I called the Managed Service Provider “Bible” – The E-Myth Revisited, with many of you sharing how the E-Myth had set you on the path to business growth, as it did for me.
Another book I often recommend to IT Solution Providers and Managed Service Providers (MSP’s) – especially those MSP’s who are growing their business rapidly – is Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Fast-Growth Firm.
Mastering The Rockefeller Habits
Written by Verne Harnish of consulting firm Gazelles and based on some fundamental business ideas that have existed for a hundred years or more, the book explores the three most common barriers to growth amongst all businesses:-
- the need for the executive team to grow as leaders in their abilities
- the need for systems and structures to handle the complexity that comes with growth
- the need to navigate the market dynamics that businesses face as they grow
In my role providing help for IT companies, I’ve rarely come across a growing MSP yet where the business owner or management team aren’t finding challenges in managing their team or getting the best out of their colleagues. They normally don’t have the time to concentrate on improving this situation because they’re typically bogged down “doing the work” rather than building ways for the business to scale more efficiently.
One Page Business Plan
The book is a fantastic resource, very easy for a time-poor business business owner or manager to read, and with links to a lot of resources – such as the “One Page Business Plan” – that businesses will find of value.
So if you’re the owner of or a manager within a growing IT Solution Provider or MSP – do yourself a favour, and make some time to read “Mastering the Rockefeller Habits”.
Trust me when I say it’ll be time and money well spent!
Latest posts by Richard Tubb (see all)
- How to choose the correct Hard Disk Drive for your server or NAS - October 2, 2016
- Tile – A Bluetooth tracker to help you find anything - September 9, 2016
- SuperBetter – Increase Your Resilience - August 19, 2016