I’ve written before about how to protect the data on your lost laptop or mobile device, and there are a free tools for tracking your lost laptop, smartphone or tablet – but recently I started thinking about how to make it easy for anyone who found my iPad to contact me to return it.
The simple answer is to create a custom wallpaper which displays your telephone number anytime your iPad is locked.
To set this custom Lock Screen message:-
- Create a simple picture with your lock screen message either on the iPad (using a tool such as Finger Sketch) or on your PC (I used Microsoft Word, took a screenshot and saved to my Dropbox which then synchronised to my iPad).
- Load the image in the iPad Photos Application.
- Pinch or expand to re-size the image to fit the iPad screen correctly.
- From the arrow menu near the top right, select “Use as Wallpaper”
- Select “Set Lock Screen”.
Voila! The next time you lock your iPad, you’ll have a handy custom Lock Screen enabling anyone who finds your lost iPad to quickly contact you to organise its return.
Latest posts by Richard Tubb (see all)
- Friday Favourites – 6th December, 2013 - December 6, 2013
- Friday Favourites – 29th November, 2013 – File Tools Special! - November 29, 2013
- We must find time to stop and thank the people who make a difference in our lives - November 28, 2013