I’ve written before about how to protect the data on your lost laptop or mobile device, and there are a free tools for tracking your lost laptop, smartphone or tablet – but recently I started thinking about how to make it easy for anyone who found my iPad to contact me to return it.
The simple answer is to create a custom wallpaper which displays your telephone number anytime your iPad is locked.
To set this custom Lock Screen message:-
- Create a simple picture with your lock screen message either on the iPad (using a tool such as Finger Sketch) or on your PC (I used Microsoft Word, took a screenshot and saved to my Dropbox which then synchronised to my iPad).
- Load the image in the iPad Photos Application.
- Pinch or expand to re-size the image to fit the iPad screen correctly.
- From the arrow menu near the top right, select “Use as Wallpaper”
- Select “Set Lock Screen”.
Voila! The next time you lock your iPad, you’ll have a handy custom Lock Screen enabling anyone who finds your lost iPad to quickly contact you to organise its return.
Latest posts by Richard Tubb (see all)
- FireChat – Off the Grid Instant Messaging - August 22, 2014
- How to build a high traffic blog on WordPress - August 20, 2014
- The 3 Best MSP tools from Autotask Community Live 2014 – TubbTalk02 - August 19, 2014